All of us eat fruits and vegetables and that's one way to keep alive. Humans survive on food and water and w'ere blessed with all of it from the nature. We get the best flavours, colours and health benefits from all the fruits and vegetables that we consume. There are always more and more inventions that we keep making when it comes to exploring food options. But did you ever think that some of these fruits and vegetables could be man-made? You read that right. Many of these nutritious treats are actually man-made and this list is going to blow your mind.
- Bananas: Believe it or not, bananas are man made. The yellow delight that goes back around 10,000 years was was apparently a blend of the wild Musa acuminata and Musa balbisiana species of banana. You can try either of them and you'll find a rather foul taste.
- Oranges: The citrus fruit that gives you a lot of health is a hybrid fruit. Oranges can be traced back to a cross breed between a pomelo and a mandarin. This fruit apparently originated in China.
- Grapefruit: This one has quite a story from back in 1693. It was when a man named Captain Shaddock shipped some pomelo seeds to the West Indies, he planted seeds next to some orange trees. After some cross pollination, he found out about the grapefruit that was born.
- Strawberries: This fruit which is quite popular around the world is not 100% original. The strawberries that we eat are man made hybrid of the wild strawberry. It's thought that the modern strawberries were introduced in the 18th century in France.
- Carrots: This vegetable wasn't originally orange, did you know that? Back in the days of the Roman Empire, the natural carrots were either purple or white and also inedible. The carrots that we eat are a hybrid of the yellow carrots which are also a hybrid of the white carrots.
- Cabbage: The green cole crop is quite closely related to many vegetables. Selective vegetable breeding was quite popular in the 1600s which is when the mustard was blended with bigger leaf buds and it resulted in cabbages.