Purchasing your beauty cosmetics online can be dangerous for your health as they could contain contaminants, according to many experts.
Recently, an American woman from California was hospitalized after using a skin cream she purchased online, which contained high levels of methylmercury. The product was a knockoff and contained more than 500 times the admissable amount of mercury in a skin product.
Dr Wendy Ng, a board-certified plastic surgeon in Orange County, California, told a news portal "the cosmetic industry is less likely to be regulated because those products do not necessarily go through federal drug screening and approval."
She further explained, “online products can contain harmful contaminants, [since] the processes for manufacturing and packaging are not standardized nor reported,” she said.
While it may be cheaper to get cosmetics online, some of the products may not contain quality ingredients and could cause damage. That is why it is important to understand the dangers and spot discrepancies
“When there is a discrepancy between what’s on the label and what’s in the product, there’s always going to be a risk to consumers,”Meg Kramer, a managing editor of CBD Hacker, told a news portal. Adding, “The best-case scenario is that a consumer ends up paying too much for an inferior product. But the possible risks include anything from an allergic reaction to an unlisted ingredient to intoxication from an adulterant.”
Experts urge people to purchase their products directly from the company's website. “To avoid counterfeit or adulterated products online, consumers should buy health products or cosmetics directly from the manufacturer whenever possible,” Kramer told a news portal. Adding, “Alternatively, they can purchase the products from a reputable vendor. Avoid purchasing cosmetics and health products from unregulated online marketplaces like auction sites.”
It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible if you feel your beauty products have given rise to a health issue. “If they feel ill they should go do their doctor or the hospital for blood testing — heavy metal poisoning in the event of an acute consumption incident will be covered by most insurance,” Calloway Cook, founder of Illuminate Labs, told a news portal.
Picture Courtesy: Google Images