Bollywood star Karisma Kapoor knows how to put a modern twist on traditional wear. A photo on Instagram showed the star rocking a printed saree in a contemporary style.
The multicolour print in blue, grey and mustard is a Satya Paul number. Kapoor made the ethnic wear look more current by pairing it with a brown blazer and waist belt to match. She completed the look with a stunning pair of long gold earrings. To keep the focus on the dress, Karisma kept her hair sleek and tied it up. For her makeup, she went with earthy tones, thick black eyeliner and brown lipstick.
Check out her outfit here:
The traditional garment has been worn by Indian women for centuries and is a timeless piece that can be worn in numerous ways. It's simply elegant and a fabulous choice to wear for big events. What's more, there's an art to saree draping. If you are new to wearing this gorgeous item of clothing or want to experiment with it, here are a few techniques you can try.
1. Safety pins: If you are new to wearing sarees, holding it all in place can be difficult at first. Secure your pleats with a safety pin vertically. This way it won't create a hole in your pretty outfit. Another tip, make sure your safety pins are not visible, so go with something to match the colour of your saree.
2. Pallu style: When you try this style, avoid pinning the pallu on your shoulder. Instead, pin it at the back as this creates a nice silhouette. You can leave it open or pleat it. If you opt for the former,pin the pallu on your hip as well. This way your arms can move around freely.
3. Pleats: Starch your saree if it is made from cotton first before you begin to pleat. This will give you a stiffer texture so your pleats can stay in place.
4. Fishtail: If you want to show off your curves, this style is for you. It will also make your body look more toned and slim. For this style, pick fabrics like chiffon or georgette.
5. Blouse: Matching your saree with a modern style blouse will add a whole new dimension to your look. Like Kapoor, you'll look stylish, chic and super contemporary.