When it comes to the Mediterranean diet almost nothing is off limits. This diet has nothing to do with sticking to a time frame or documenting what you eat.
"Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full, and focus on whole and minimally processed foods whenever possible," Stacie Hassing, R.D., one of the co-founders of The Real Food, told a news portal. It consists of three meals and one snack time each day and you'll get to eat a variety of foods as it contains plant-based foods, a bit of protein like lean meats and a little dairy.
Experts say you'll notice a huge difference in your health and body after following this diet for seven days. The way to follow this diet is to think of it as a pyramid. Foods at the top have to be consumed in moderation.
1. Top: Added sugars like honey and red meat
2. Middle: Lean meats, poultry, local dairy and wine
3. Bottom: Fish, legume, seasonal fruits and vegetables
Wendy Bazilian, R.D., author of The SuperFoods Rx Diet explained in a report on how to plan your meals with the help of this diet:
1. 50 per cent carbohydrates from vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains
2. 35 per cent fats from healthy oils, nuts, seeds, and fish
3. 15 per cent protein from legumes, fish, nuts, dairy, poultry, and eggs
Now, that you know how to formulate your meal plan, here are a few reasons to try this diet for a week at least:
1. Helps you maintain a healthy weight: On this diet, you'll eat a rich about of healthy fats and protein, which will help to keep you full for longer and reduce your cravings for the sweet stuff.One study found that people who followed a Mediterranean diet for two years lost more weight than those who tried low-fat diets.
2. Improves heart health: This diet can drastically reduce your risk of heart disease, as well as maintain blood pressure and cholesterol levels.The reason is that it provides the body with a healthy amount of antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. It also helps to prevent the build-up of plaque in the arteries.
3. Improves eyesight. The diet could protect you against macular degeneration, which is a major cause of vision loss after age the of 54. Consuming a healthy amount of fish and vegetables can reduce your risk of developing the condition.
While these are just a few reasons to try the diet, it can do a whole lot more to improve your overall health.