One of life's greatest mysteries is how and why do we dream when we are sleeping. These stories can be entertaining, bizarre and emotional. We believe we have very little control of what we will see in these dreams.
According to scientists, dream and nightmares are feelings, images and memories that happen during the REM (rapid eye movement) stage of out sleep involuntarily. Normally, we remember very little to piece together our dreams in the morning. However, researchers now say that you can control what you dream about.
All you have to do is make a few subtle and easy changes and watch the magic unfold. Here are five steps that may help you control your dreams.
1. Physical reminder: What we see during the day, in reality, has a way of creeping up in our dreams. So if you want to dream about someone or thing specific, focus on that subject for a few minutes before you go to sleep. You could also put certain objects near your bed to remind you of what you want to dream.
2. It's not complicated: When paying attention to your dreams, you'll notice that the activity you are doing or think about the most is what you will most likely dream about. If you are playing a video game and are super focused on it, don't be surprised if you show up in your dream. Expect to dream about simple things and focus on your thoughts throughout the day.
3. Remind yourself of your dream: Take some time throughout the day to remind yourself you will be dreaming about something fabulous. Hopefully, you will remember enough of it the next morning to keep track of it. Journaling will help you document your pattern.
4. Check if you are dreaming: It may sound bizarre, but this step will help control your dreams. You want to get in the state of lucid dreaming. You'll start to notice that question come up when you are actually dreaming. It may also help you understand when and how frequently you dream.
5. Let loose: Have fun in your dreams. It's a great place to escape to and feel like you already have what you want. There is no limit to what you can do and have in this dreamy space. You never know, this technique may just help make your dreams (and hopefully not the nightmares) come true.