A lot of you might know that childhood obesity increases the chances of getting overweight right when you're in your teenage years and childhood. Not just that, it is also linked to many diseases as well as social problems. One major reason for childhood obesity is the consumption of unhealthy foods. Other than that, there are various other reasons that contribute to childhood obesity like insulin resistance, lack of exercise, genetic potential, etc. This problem can lead to many other health issues like heart diseases, asthma, sleep disorders, type-2 diabetes, joint pain, etc. It is when we pay attention to a well-planned diet, healthy lifestyle and regular exercises that can control obesity in your kid.
Maintaining calorie intake can also save your kid from being obese and overweight. Hence, you need to make your child practice these habits:
- Make sure they drink lots of water.
- Limit the intake of saturated fat and sugar.
- Limit the intake of sweetened beverages.
- Have plenty of veggies, whole-grain products and fruits.
- Take fat-less meat, fish, lentils, beans only for proteins.
- Choose a low-fat and non-fat milk or dairy products for them.
- Check on their food portions.
You need to help your child stay active as exercises can help them stay fit and healthy.
- Playing tag
- Jumping rope
- Brisk walking
Regular exercising can help too:
- Decreases blood pressure
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Manages body weight
- Increases self-esteem
- Strengthens bones