Everyone by now should know that sleep determines or mood and the lack of it can have drastic effects on our mood, thoughts and emotions. A neurologist decided to break a few things down for our ease of understanding and this information will actually end up giving you good sleep if you follow it well.
But before that, know that an adult requires 7-9 hours of sleep while a toddler needs 11-14 hours. Lack of the adequate hours of sleep will make you sleep deprived, which is very bad for your brain. Hence, following a few simple steps on a daily basis will help you sleep better and you'll wake up fresh, active and happy.
- First things first, start prioritizing your sleep over other things so that you can achieve sufficient hours of rest. Out of the busy schedule that you have, take an hour to yourself just to relax your body before actually going to bed. This transition will help you sleep better without stress on your mind.
- It's difficult for all of us to actually follow this, but lower the use of gadgets while in bed and eventually put a stop to it completely. Your mind needs to relax before you actually doze off and the electronic devices will only keep stressing your eyes and consume all your energy.
- Always maintain a sleep-wake schedule and fix a time for both of them, even on weekends. This will help you stick to those particular hours of sleep so that you can start sleeping better.
- Once you wake up, try and soak yourself in 15-30 minutes of sunlight once you wake up in the morning. The morning sunlight will give your body the vitamins it requires to function well and also will help in regulating the sleep patterns.
- Sleep only when you're feeling sleep not otherwise. Going to bed early doesn't mean you laying in bed even when you aren't feeling sleepy. You should get in bed only when you'll be able to hit base as soon as you lay down.
- Reduce the consumption of caffeine and alcohol if need be. You cannot have 2-3 cups of caffeine a day and expect to sleep good. So is the case with alcohol. Consumption of both should be in a limit if you require to sleep better and wake up fresh the other day.
- Once you wake up in the morning, make sure you don't be in bed for more than 15 minutes. Instead, wake up, start your day early and do more thing through the day. You'll automatically start feeling tired in the night while it's bedtime.
These simple steps suggested by neurologists are very effective and aren't hard to achieve at all. Know this, fixing your sleep schedule is very important for your brain and body to feel relaxed and refreshed.