Breast cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer that is affecting many women across the globe. While there are many contributing factors in today's world, there are ways you can reduce your risk of the disease. Here are a few strategies backed by science you can try to protect yourself from breast cancer.
1. Try an anti-inflammatory diet:Following an anti-inflammatory diet can protect your health from a host of health issues like cancer, diabetes and heart disease. You need to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats to your diet.You should also stay clear of processed foods and sugar.
2. Avoid environmental toxins: This may be a hard one for many. However, there are many ways you can do this in your home. Make sure your cleaning products, cosmetics, and makeup don't contain harmful chemicals. "Once disputed as a contributor to breast cancer, environmental pollutants are now known to play a significant role. Chemicals in our food, water, and homes can alter DNA and gene expression to change the way breast cells develop, making tissues susceptible to cancer," Sonya Lunder, MPH, is stated as saying in a news portal.
3. Quit smoking and reduce your intake of alcohol: While these two strategies can help solve a lot of health issues, it can especially reduce your risk of cancer. Just one glass of alcohol can increase a woman's risk of developing breast cancer.
4. Stay active: Exercise has loads of benefits. A short walk, a quick jog, or even a fitness class can help improve your health in numerous ways. It may even help your body become more equipped to protect itself from a host of health issues like cancer.
5. Get checked:Even if you do everything right in terms of diet and exercise, you may still develop breast cancer. That is why it is important to regularly go for mammograms and pap smears as a precaution.