If you have really damaged hair, brittle nails or skin issues, then you need to start consuming foods that are rich in omega-3. Lack of this fatty acid in your body can cause a host of health issues that can be avoidable.
"Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats produce hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which affect immunity and inflammation in the body," nutritionist Harpreet Pasricha told a news portal. Adding, "The former help to suppress inflammation, immune responses and blood clotting, while the later are essential for healthy skin, but can cause inflammation and allergic responses.”
Consuming foods that are rich in these fatty acids also helps to tackle issues with anxiety. Omega-3 is also known to reduce anxiety, triggering a chemical response in the body that makes the skin more sensitive and reactive. “It increases serotonin, which helps to cope with anxiety and depression, eventually leading us to better skin,” Pasricha further explained.
If you want to improve your complexion and have gorgeous, here are a few foods rich in omega-3 you need to try.
1. Sunflower seeds: These seeds are not only high in omega-3 fatty acids, but they are also a rich source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are also known for their anti-inflammatory properties as they contain vitamin E and linoleic acid. They are packed with loads of nutrition that will improve your hair, scalp and skin's health. However, they are also low in calories.
2. Fatty fish: Tuna, salmon, sardines and mackerel are fish with very rich sources of omega-3. Consuming fish like these regularly can help you reduce, inflammation, acne and rosacea. It also works to keep the skin hydrated and provides loads of nourishment, particularly for dry skin. A quick dinner option is grilled fish and steamed vegetables. Fatty fish also contains vitamin E and zinc, which can help to strengthen your strands.
3. Flaxseeds: Flaxseed oil is a great way to get your daily dose of omega-3 fatty acids. It helps to boost collagen production which helps to improve your skin's elasticity and keep it smooth. It also contains nutrients that protect you from sun damage.
4. Walnuts: Consuming a few walnuts can help to retain the skin's moisture and protect it from the sun damage. You can add it to your morning cereal or consume it in a salad. Adding this nut to your diet can drastically improve the complexion of your skin over time.
5. Chia seeds: Chia seeds pack a punch. Not only are they loaded with omega-3, but it is also a rich source of vitamins, minerals, protein and fibre. It can help promote hair growth. A great way to get your daily dose of it is by adding it in soups and salad.
6. Avocados: This fruit is delicious to eat and beneficial for your health. It is a rich source of omega-3, as well as vitamins B, C, E and K, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, antioxidants, potassium, lutein and beta-carotene. All these nutrients help to reduce hair fall and improve the complexion of your skin.