According to a research study in the US a few days ago, using the wrong kind of personal care products like shampoo, lotion, nail polish or cologne may send a child to the hospital, every two hours due to the poisoning and chemical burns.
The study was carried out researchers at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital. The research team found that 64,686 children younger than five years of age were treated in US departments for injuries related to personal care products from 2002 till 2016. Published in the journal, Clinical Pediatrics, the study stated that most injuries from these products happened a child swallowed the product. (75.7%) or made contact with the child’s eyes or skin. (19.3%)
These exposures and ingestions were responsible for the most poisonings or chemical burn, according to the researchers.
When you think about what young children see when they look at these products, you start to understand how these injuries can happen,” said Rebecca McAdams, a senior research associate at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
“Kids this age can’t read, so they don’t know what they are looking at. They see a bottle with a colourful label that looks or smells like something they are allowed to eat or drink, so they try to open it and take a swallow.
“When the bottle turns out to be nail polish remover instead of juice, or lotion instead of yogurt, serious injuries can occur,” McAdams said.
Products that made it to the top three for leading injuries were nail care products, hair care products and skincare products, fragrance products. An individual product that could be pinpointed as the main culprit is nail polish remover.
“Because these products are currently not required to have child-resistant packaging, it is important for parents to put them away immediately after use and store them safely, preferably in a cabinet or closet with a lock or a latch.
“These simple steps can prevent many injuries and trips to the emergency department,” she said.