Fad diets have pretty much taken over the world these days with everyone trying different types of diets. While each person has their own preference when you search for low-carb diets, the two most common ones that you'll come across are the keto diet and the Atkins diet. While both diets claim to be super useful, which one is more effective?
The Atkins diet, although termed as a fad diet was actually developed by a doctor. It offers two diet plans and here's what you can eat while on the diet:
- Meats: While any type of meat will do, it's best that you opt for fresh, unprocessed meat.
- Fish: Opt for fish and other seafood that is a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Vegetables: Low-carb vegetables like broccoli and spinach should be eaten early into the diet, later you can include starchy vegetables like potatoes, corn, and parsnips as well as whole grains.
- Full-fat dairy: Butter, cream, aged cheese, and full-fat yoghurt
- Eggs: for protein
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, and sunflower seeds.
- Healthy fats: Cold-pressed oils like olive oil and butter
The keto diet, on the other hand, focuses on a high-fat, adequate-protein, and low-carbohydrate intake. Here's what you're allowed to eat on a keto diet:
- Meat: Beef brisket, Beef ribs, T-bone steak, sandwich steaks, ground meat
- Fish: Salmon, mackerel, sardines, and herring
- Full-fat dairy: Butter, cream, cheese, full-fat yoghurt
- Low-carb vegetables: Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cabbage, and asparagus
- Berries: Blueberries, boysenberries and raspberries
- Healthy fats: Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, butter, and lard
- Substitutes: Almond flour, coconut flour, coconut milk, almond milk, and stevia
Well, both the diets have their pros and cons. While the keto diet is said to be superior to the Atkins diet in terms of efficiency, it also happens to be more difficult to continue on a long-term basis. So, when it comes to sustainability, you should opt for the Atkins diet. Switch between both the diets and then figure out what works best for you.