Friends are such an important part of our lives, especially the ones who turn into family and support us through thick and thin. These are the people we rely on for almost everything sensible and stupid. We can turn up to them for help and also be called out for times when we go wrong somewhere. These are the people who don't judge you and totally accept you with all the flaws. But what happens when the friendship gets toxic? Yes, that's true. Not all the friends that you make might be healthy for you. There are people who blind us with their friendship but are actually quite toxic for us. And if you want to spot such people, we're here to help.
- Friends joke around a lot and that's absolutely normal. But these toxic people's jokes don't really sound like jokes. They're more of a humiliation to make you feel uncomfortable or embarrassed.
- They're too self-centered and it's usually all about what they need and when they're in need to rant about their life situations to you. In this friendship, there's no 'you'.
- There are major times when they try to put you down and not treat you as their equal. They don't appreciate you enough or your friendship for them and constantly criticize you for your behaviour.
- They get insecure and try to control you and this gets very difficult to handle. They are mostly in charge of when to meet and when to do what.
- When you disagree to their decisions or thoughts, they lash out instantly and try to make you agree to whatever they think is right. They'll try emotional blackmail only to get things done out of you.
If you spot your friend doing any of these things, it's time to cut the toxicity off.