Everyone enjoys a good snack every now and then and we usually don't pay much attention to what goes in our stomach on the name of munchies. This is what leads to unhealthy eating habits and we tend to start inclining towards processed foods for snacking. Although, it is very crucial to think about our health and avoid foods that can harm our body. There are so many superfoods available in the market which serves the purpose of munching on some crunchy things while paying utmost attention to our health. One of such item is makhana, also known as foxnut which is usually consumed during Navratri fast. This superfood doesn't only make for a great munchie, but also has many health benefits associated with it. Some roasted foxnuts are crispy and delicious which you can easily replace for unhealthy snacking options.
Here are some really good reasons to start munching on makhanas:
- If you're a weight watcher, you should start including makhanas for your snacks. They're low in calories and saturated fat and also have a high protein content. They will keep you feeling full for long hours and also prevent you from overeating and cravings.
- They have low sodium content and are rich in minerals like potassium and magnesium which are beneficial for people who deal with high blood pressure. Makhanas help in managing blood pressure and also maintain cardiac health. They are also rich in folate that is essential for our heart health.
- These munchies can help people who have diabetes where it helps in managing their blood sugar levels, however it's best to consult your doctor before you add makhanas to your diet. They have enough carbs and have a low glycemic index and makes for a healthy snack for people with blood sugar issues.
- Makhanas are rich in antioxidants and contain compounds that are known to reduce inflammation. They also contain substances that help fight against harmful free-radical that slows down the ageing process by repairing the damaged proteins in our body.
- They are gluten-free and rich in fibers, carbohydrates and proteins. This itself makes it for a great snack for your digestive system. It is also known to help bowel movement and prevents indigestion or constipation.