All the reasons why you should avoid drinking tea on an empty stomach
We Indians are infamous for drinking tea no matter what time it is and no matter what the situation is. It seems to have become a universal problem solver for us, from apparently curing headaches to helping calm frayed nerves. But while you may enjoy your cup of tea, you must also practice caution in case you have a habit of drinking it on an empty stomach. As per new research, consuming tea on an empty stomach could lead to acidity and digestion problems.
And how does that happen, you ask? Well, there's a very simple reason behind this. When you drink tea on an empty stomach, all the bacteria in your mouth gets washed down to your stomach and this can interfere in your digestive process. It can also interfere with your gut bacteria and affect your metabolism.
Here are some more disadvantages of drinking tea on an empty stomach:
- Disturbs your acid and alkaline balance in the stomach while also affecting metabolic activity.
- Your body is already dehydrated after sleeping for long hours and tea can dehydrate you even more since it happens to be diuretic in nature.
- Tea is known to have traces of nicotine which could even get you addicted to it.
- Milk in tea can make things even worse during the morning as milk has a high lactose content which can cause gas and acidity.
- Tea contains certain chemicals which may lead to constipation.
So, what should you drink when you wake up? Nutritionists suggest that the healthiest thing to drink in the morning would be water. However, you're supposed to drink water 15-20 minutes after waking up. Post this you can have fruit and then you may drink tea or coffee. Once you've had a snack and then had some tea, it can help boost your metabolism and improve digestion.
So, if you're a chai person, then remember to follow these tips so that you can continue drinking your favourite beverage without any issues. Stay tuned for more updates.