High blood pressure is a chronic condition that occurs when there is an increase in resistance of the arteries. It is a serious health issue that could lead to heart disease.
Incorporating a healthy lifestyle is crucial in order to manage the condition. The best way to control high blood pressure is by consuming foods rich in potassium. Potassium helps relax the walls of the arteries and ensure muscles function properly.
Here are some of the foods to add to your diet in order to manage the condition:
1. Banana: The fruit is rich in potassium and consuming just one can help you get at least 500 milligrams of the mineral. You can consume it in the morning by making a banana smoothie or have it with oatmeal.
2. Dried apricots: Add dried apricots to your smoothie or simply eat it as a snack. It has very high levels of potassium and can be instrumental in helping you manage your blood pressure levels.
3. Salmon: The fatty fish is a great source of potassium and protein. It is also high in vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids. You can get close to 650 milligrams of potassium from just a six-ounce piece of the fish.
4. Broccoli: The vegetable is packed with potassium, as well as Vitamin C, K, folate and fibre. It can also help you lose weight.
5. Avocado: Not only is it rich in potassium, but it can also help give your metabolism a boost. One avocado has approximately1,067 mg of potassium.
6. Coconut water: The delicious drink is loaded with electrolytes like potassium. It is also low in calories and can help you lose weight.
7. Sweet potatoes: This vegetable can help you manage your blood pressure because it is high in potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6.
Consult with your doctor before following any diet.