Feeling blue? If the answer is yes, the last thing you probably want to do is a workout session. When you are in that state of mind, trying to get through mundane tasks can be a challenge. Getting out of bed and trying to just make it to the end of the day can be difficult when you are suffering from a mental health issue. However, pushing yourself to exercise even a little bit can help alleviate symptoms of depression. Some studies suggest working out for just two weeks can have a positive effect. If you are feeling lost and just don't know where to start, here are a few ways to workout when you are feeling depressed.
* Take baby steps: Feeling low can really be draining. In fact, just the thought of putting your shoes on and heading out the door for a job can make you feel exhausted. The best thing you can do right now is to not overwhelm yourself. Take baby steps. Go for a 20-minute walk around the block.
* Do at-home workouts: When you are feeling depressed, you tend to not want to interact with the world and its people. If you can't seem to force yourself to get out and get moving, no problem. Switch on a Youtube workout video or allow an exercise app guide you through a short workout session. Count it as an acheivement even if you get through five minutes.
* Get a workout buddy: If you are in a vulnerable state, you need to surround yourself with good people who can help you get through it. A workout buddy can make sure you are on top of your fitness game and help motivate you on those days you really need it.
* Give a HIIT class a try: High-Intensity Interval Training ( HIIT) has been found to be very effective for many people living with chronic health issues. It could even help improve your mood. While a HIIT session is short (approximately 30 minutes), it combines low-intensity aerobic exercises with high-intensity workouts. So you will really make the most of your time. You should try this at least once or twice a week.
6. Try something new: Sometimes getting out of your head and trying something new when you are stressed and depressed may just be the treatment you need to get through it. Now is a great time to experiment with your workouts. Have you always wanted to take a swimming class or try goat yoga? Get involved today.
You may not find every tip on the list useful, but it is important to find what works for you. This way you will know how to manage your health during those rough chapters.
Picture Courtesy: Google Images